Growing old brings in maturity and better perspectives towards every aspect of life. Unfortunately, it also summons the annoying signs of aging that may blemish not just your outer appearance but also the confidence inside. If you have just entered that phase of your life, here are some things and tips for anti-aging skin care.
Most Common Aging Signs
As you grow old, you may notice some dark blemishes on the back of your hands, neck, forearm, face or chest. These are called age spots which usually arise from hereditary causes, improper skin care, unhealthy diet regime or too much exposure to sunlight. Age spots are known by many names such as liver spots, sun spots, lentigines or lentigos. You may consider it as the time to consult a skin specialist if you see some tan, dark brown or brown spots appearing on your skin.
Which Are Not the Aging Signs?
In some people, age spots may resemble moles, but there is a lot of difference between the two. Make sure you consult an expert to know how to distinguish. There are innumerable medical and over-the-counter treatments for sun spots. However, before starting any treatment, it is important to rule out the possibility of these spots being cancerous. Usually, the people having age spots are more prone to skin cancer. Once you are given a clean chit by your dermatologist, you can try innumerable options available to deal with age spots.
Some Useful Anti-Aging Skin Care Ideas
- Fade Creams: You can try fading creams which contain a bleaching agent and lighten the age spots gradually within a few months. For the best results, these should be used along with moisturizers containing glycolic acid, which helps in keeping the skin smooth.
- Retinoids: You can also opt for retinoids which along with fading the discoloration also stimulate the augmentation of healthy new cells.
- Chemical Peels: Then there are chemical peels which not only lighten the age spots but also make the skin more firm and smooth by removing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Laser Resurfacing: These days, people are also going for laser resurfacing. In this technique, the age spots, fine lines and wrinkles are burned with the help of a laser. All the traces of discoloration and age spots are removed efficiently in a single sitting.
- Reduce Sun Exposure: Sunscreen creams and lotions are almost a necessity for those concerned about aging skin. Use sunscreen with SPF 30 or more every day.
- Healthy Eating: Switch to more quantity of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants and avoid or limit the consumption of beverages and unhealthy fats. Drinking 8 glasses of water each day is another essential thing to do.
- Limit Alcohol: In addition to alcohol, limit or completely give up smoking as these catalyze the process of skin aging.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping for nearly 7-8 hours is necessary to postpone skin aging process. At the same time, it is necessary to keep your mind stress-free.
- Exercise Every Day: Cardiovascular exercises not only keep a person in good shape and free from diseases, but also have a positive effect on the skin.
While anti-aging skin care is important, it is also important to consult a dermatologist before going for any treatment. Begin today and continue making a good impression with young and healthy skin.